Thursday, January 21, 2010

Singin' in the Rain

During my film class last semester I watched Singin' in the Rain for the first time. It was AMAZING. It really changed my perspective on the 50s and even the late 20s - early 30s (where the film takes place). I guess I never knew how awesome film was in the past.

I decided to take a shot at rotoscoping and used Singin' in the Rain as the footage:


Unused still image I made with illustrator for this project:



Some screen shots I took from the actual film:




This scene was incredibly beautiful and surreal--completely took me by surprise. The entire film had a really energetic musical feel, but had this strange entrance of a lengthy side story. I found it very mysterious and loved it.

Aside from that, nowadays rarely do you see in theaters well done acting, dancing, and singing all at once. 

3 comments:

Katie said...

I think I saw that roto before...was it on your vimeo already? It's really cool! I like the one long shadow under him.

I've never seen Singin' in the Rain, but those screenshots make me really want to see it.

Amanda Zoe said...

yeah, in theaters today you just watch people saw their feet off....
that dance scene was amazing, reminded me of a dali painting.

Spiderian said...

I enjoyed that. you should finish it and sell it as the next ipod commercial